Tuesday, July 12, 2011

How Does One Get Here?

We all get to our point of being overweight for different reasons.

Some of us are born to overweight parents, and live a life of being overweight.

Some of us don't become overweight until adulthood, and that's where I fit in. 

I have naturally thin genes.   Both my parents are thin and fit people, who still bike 10 miles a day.  All of my siblings are thin.  I used to be thin too.  Thin with no effort.  The best kind of thin there is.  (or perhaps I should say the easiest kind of thin there is. 

I think we use food as a substitute for other things.  I think all of us do this.  My weight started packing on when my best friends in college all moved away, leaving me as a senior in college, pretty much friendless.  Needing to start over.  And previously to this, I had ended a 3 year relationship with a boy. A relationship that needed to end, a relationship I'm grateful I had the strength to end, but it still left me feeling. . . empty.

The weight starting coming on gradually.  A few pounds here, a few pounds there.  And before I knew it, I was wearing mostly 10's, and an occassional 8.  Okay, I know to some, that doesn't seem large.  But I think we all have the perfect weight for our frame.  I am 5 feet, 9 inches tall, and my healthy weight range is anywhere from 135 to 169.  I weight 173.4.  Yes. . . I'm overweight.  Yes. . . I'm not morbidly obse, but I am not at my best weight.  My knees hurt.  My back hurts.  I'm simply carrying too much weight.

Life went on. . . I continued to gain weight.  I married a great man.  We tried to have children.  It didn't work. I did infertility treatment and gained weight from that.  Treatment didn't work.  I eventually got pregnant all on my own and also adopted a child.  I never lost the baby weight.  And here I am.  5 feet, 9 inches tall, and over 170 pounds.

For almost 10 years, I've lived a life unhappy with my weight.  I've started a lifestyle change here and there (I refuse to diet) and sometimes I would lose a few pounds, but I'd never stick to it.

Things must change.  They just must. 

2 comments:

  1. I know you will do awesome because you have reached the 'fed up point' in your life. Be prepared to face your personal demons head on. Yes it is an emotional roller coaster because you may have been like me for years being an emotional eater. To break the cycle you must be prepared to TKO emotions. Like yesterday I had an emotional day but didn't go on an emotional eating binge. Patience is a very important key. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Scarly! Thanks for commenting over at my blog! My husband and I, also, had one child on our own, and then we adopted our second child - now our family is complete! Anyway, I look forward to following your blog. You can lose this weight!!!

    ReplyDelete